Chief Human Resources Officer
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
PSI is currently seeking a Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) who will take responsibility for the development and integration of global human resources functions that support the organization's mission, values, and business strategy. An experienced human resources executive, the CHRO should possess a deep and broad understanding of human resource management, including talent acquisition, performance management, compensation and benefits, strategic workforce planning, employee relations, legal and regulatory compliance, risk management, and human resource systems. As a thought partner and collaborator, the CHRO will have the ability to command the respect of and work effectively with the Board of Directors, an accomplished global leadership team and colleagues with diverse human resources and talent acquisition needs. The CHRO works closely with the CEO and Executive Team at PSI headquarters to develop and implement effective people strategies and tactics to support and enable execution of the global business' strategic objectives. The CHRO also works closely with a network of locally hired HR professionals based in PSI's country offices to ensure they meet standards through mentoring, coaching, and sharing of best practices and will take ownership of creating a global communications strategy to enable team contribution and foster a culture of functional integration. The current human resources function consists of Talent Management, Business Partners, HR Operations, and a Learning & Performance team; in total, a team of 18 with oversight of the field human resources talent who report directly into regional leadership.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Work with the CEO and the Executive Team to craft a human resources strategy to support the current and future local and global needs of PSI.
- Regularly present to the Board of Directors on human resources goals and achievements alongside issues for discussion.
- Identify the optimal human resources structure to support PSI and its local and global infrastructure and create lines of communication that provide connections within and across the entire human resources network.
- Monitor and measure the effectiveness of the current human resources function and identify and institutionalize a culture of best practices to develop its efficiency and ability to react and support the business appropriately.
- Identify the strategic talent needs of the organization and drive talent acquisition, retention and development efforts.
- Institutionalize consistent yet adaptable workforce management strategies and programs, including performance management, succession planning, mentoring, and employee learning and development.
- Articulate and lead the organization's comprehensive learning and development strategy, working closely with other senior leaders across PSI's Evidence, Programmatic and Technical functions.
- Oversee development and implementation of global performance standards in support of organizational goals and objectives and develop mechanisms to monitor and measure progress.
- Develop and implement clear, concise policies and procedures for international, local, and USbased staff to ensure a consistent and compliant approach, including appropriate benefits and compensation programs that are compliant with applicable US and locally mandated country labor laws.
- Establish, monitor and ensure appropriate development plans across the workforce that ensure succession and retention, and appropriately reward through a consistent and competitive total rewards program in alignment with industry best practices.
- Maintain a highquality central HR function, including appropriate technology, systems and tools, and the use of metrics and people data to inform key decisions.
- Provide critical services and support to all PSI's global operations in complex environments, while serving as business partner to country offices, their leadership and local HR professionals.
- Provide support to staff on employee relations issues, including workplace concerns, policy issues, safety and security.
What are we looking for?
- A leader who is passionate about helping those in need.
- Graduate degree in human resource management, business administration, or relevant academic area of study. SPRH/GPHR/SPHRi or equivalent professional certification strongly preferred.
- Minimum 15 years of progressively responsible human resources leadership experience within complex, decentralized global organizations. Private sector experience desired.
- Developing country experience and foreign languages (French preferred, and/or Spanish) desired.
- Experience selecting, implementing, and institutionalizing HR IT systems.
- Experience in or the capability to work effectively with all levels of an organization, ranging from Board members and Executive Team members to staff and Fellows.
- Experience in leading change, assessing the human resources organization, crafting change management strategies, communicating and implementing them, and monitoring for success. Able to develop strategy and work operationally.
- Experience in building a cohesive and progressive human resources culture globally, opening lines of communication, encouraging partnerships and exchange of information.
- A clear and open communication style, able to reach every level of the organization and build bridges across every function; an experienced connector who can build cohesive teams.
- Experience managing compensation programs and instituting change as necessary.
- An influential leader who is results oriented and metrics driven.
- References will be required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. PSI will consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
What would get us excited?
The successful candidate will demonstrate a strong leadership presence balanced with a flexible approach, a bias for both precision and action, a track record of excellent judgment and decisionmaking skills, and a style that is warm, approachable, and embodies a culture of caring, respect, and openness. The ideal candidate will bring vision and an enterprising approach, a continuous improvement philosophy, success stories of the development of subordinates, and a solutionfocused internal and external customer service approach.
The successful candidate will be a strong coach and problem solver, diplomatic change agent, and expert in understanding organizational dynamics and helping to create the right structures which address challenges that are inherent in a geographically and functionally diverse team. The CHRO will help build and scale the organization, bringing strategic talent skills, expertise in core human resource functions, and a deep commitment to PSI's mission.
This search is being conducted exclusively by Diversified Search. Please direct all inquiries and applications for this opportunity to Nalini Perkins (Nalini.Perkins@divsearch.com). Applicants wishing to be considered are asked to include a resume and cover letter with their submission.